Louisa May Alcott

Louisa May Alcott
An American writer

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Internal Conflict

So you've created characters who are heroic and likeable.  Maybe still flawed at the opening of the book, but that's okay. They can be flawed but still likeable, so long as their flaw isn't something like being a serial murderer or a pedophile.  The flaw has to be redeemable, something the character can overcome--which brings me to the subject of this week's (I promise to do better about posting regularly) post. 

Internal conflict.  Growth of the character, WITHIN the character.  This chapter of the Maass book deals with the internal conflict, something I love but I always seem to give my characters a Mt. Everest to climb.  But I want them to work for their happiness.  So how do you identify what that internal conflict is, make it large enough to be a rewarding read, but manageable enough that the character has a realistic chance of growing and changing enough to overcome it?  How do you keep everything in balance? 

No comments: