Louisa May Alcott

Louisa May Alcott
An American writer

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Breakout Novel--Heroes

I'm working my way through Donald Maass's 'Breakout Novel', and the beginning section is on heroes and heroines.  I'm just going to call them heroes or protagonists, because we all know that women can be and are heroic, as well.

One of the things Maass says is that we identify with a protagonist not because we like them, but because we see in that character ourselves as we would like to be.  That in the outset of the book we should see at least some 'small show of gumption, a glimmer of humor, a dab of ironic self-regard' or some other heroic trait, even if the character is in the middle of wallowing in self-pity or doing something un-heroic at the story's outset. 

Another thing he asks is that we take out our favorite three works of fiction, the three we would most re-read now or have read the most.  Laura Kinsale's 'Flowers from the Storm' and the Lord of the Rings trilogy are definitely on there.  I'm trying to think of another.  LaVyrle's 'Morning Glory' would probably be the other, though I doubt I have a copy of it any more. 

The rich characterization is what brings me back to those books.  Though LOTR has an intense, intricate plot, it also has well-drawn characters.  The two romances have very intense internal conflicts and plots, but they're not 'we're gonna die' intensity in the external plot at all.  So internal plot and characterization.  And actually, LOTR has quite an involved internal journey for Frodo and everyone else.  The external plot points tend to overshadow it, though.

So what are YOUR three favorite works of fiction, and why?

8 comments:

Laurie Ryan said...

This is quite timely as I'm in the last 50 pages of reading Donald Maass book. I still have my pile of three books sitting on my writing desk. You and I are very similar. I picked:
LOTR by Tolkien
Laura Kinsale's The Shadow and The Star
and Shanna by Kathleen Woodiwiss

I have and do read these over and over again. It's because these authors really took the time to give their characters depth.

Great post, Carol!

Lavada Dee said...

Interesting blog, I love LaVyrle Spencer books and Morning Glory is one of my favorite.

Lavada

Emma said...

Kazantzakis-Zorba the Greek
Joyce-Ulysees
Bulgakov-Master and Marguerite

There are more, of course, but, in terms of characterization, Zorba is easy. I identify with the Boss and, like him, wish I was more like Zorba.

In Ulysees, I identify with Stephen and Bloom but Molly's my girl. Try as they might, the two men are never as positive and vibrant as she.

Master and Marguerite is difficult. I identify with almost all the characters. All of them are flawed. All are seeking redemption. It's a beautifully written book.

Janette Harjo said...

Three that come to my mind are 1) LOTR, a classic
2) The Clan of The Cave Bear series by Jean Auel
and
3) The Host, by Stephanie Meyer

i chose these three because they areall compelling to see through to the end and interesting enough to pick back up and start over again!

Great question, Carol (Donald)! LOL! It made my mind start moving this morning!

JH

McKenna Darby said...

LOTR is definitely on my list, too, Carol. It's my favorite book of all time. Great Expectations (or almost anything by Dickens) would be on my list. And Don Quixote. And Gone with the Wind.

For anyone who is interested in the Maass method, I strongly recommend the "Writing the Breakout Novel" workbook. The book is good, but the workbook is the primer to actually put the principles in action.

I'm actually attending the Maass workshop next week at the Lehigh Valley Writers conference. Will report back with what I learn.

Carol Dunford said...

Emma--Master & Marguerite is one I haven't read; will have to add it to the TBR pile. McKenna, I'm going to hold you to that promise. Would love to hear what you learn! who is putting on the Maass workshop?

Carol Dunford said...

In the Maass workbook (page 12) it talks about Adding Heroic Qualities, and Question #1 is Who are your personal heroes? This actually took me a while, but I listed Mother Theresa and Lucy Stone. As far as WHY I see these people as heroes (Q#2), I finally decided it's because they had a set of values from which they did not waver, no matter what. Of course, Q#3 asks about how my hero or heroine displays this quality. Wow. I need to think on that one. So that's my question to you: What determines "heroic" to you? And how do you SEE that in action? How does that show up in action in your hero/heroine?

Carol Dunford said...

I'm still on the above assignment, Question #3, When did I first become aware of this heroic quality in my h/h? And I've got that, but Q#4 says 'find a way for he or she to ACTIVELY demonstrate that quality, even in a small way, in his or her first scene.' My heroine is locked in a cell in an insane asylum. I have it all as internal thought right now. This is going to have to be re-written, obviously.