Louisa May Alcott

Louisa May Alcott
An American writer

Monday, November 7, 2011

How Dark is Too Dark?

I have several ideas floating around in my head, but the one that keeps coming back is dark, dark, dark.  Post-Civil War, and the heroine would basically be dealing with PTSD, even though it certainly hadn't been identified as a specific condition back then. 

How dark is too dark a book for you?  The Harry Potter series was dark, especially for something aimed at kids and young teens.  How far can you go in the historical romance genre?  Stephen King can get away with pretty much anything, but he's an outstanding writer and writes in the horror genre.  His stuff is SUPPOSED to be dark. 

Meagan Chance writes dark, and a lot of people consider Anne Stuart's stuff to be dark, although I just find it. . . intense, I guess is the best way.  Not overly dark, at least for me. 

What makes a book 'dark' for you, and at what point does it become so dark that you put the book down?  What great books have you read that were dark?  Any great, dark romances? 

1 comment:

DeeAnna said...

I usually avoid dark and horror, but anything where chidren or pets are sacrificed or people are tortured - are not a good choice for me.

Oh, and extreme emotional torture.