Louisa May Alcott

Louisa May Alcott
An American writer

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Discovery of Witches and Maass

My first Kindle book, A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness, is one recommended in a class I took on descriptions of setting in novels, Setting as Character.  Very interesting class, and the instructor, Devon Ellington, recommended this book as one with great descriptions of the setting.  She's right.  The descriptions are brief--they don't slow down the story--and very evocative.  It's also quite obvious that either a lot of research or experience went into this book.  I've never been to Oxford (though I'd give my eye teeth to go) but I think I'd feel at home there via Harkness's descriptions. 

I'm not done with the book yet, so I'm not giving out any spoilers because I can't, though thanks to my handy new Kindle I can probably polish it off today.  Harkness also uses quite a few of Maass's techniques, with several unexpected twists in the novel.  The heroine ( a witch) just went to a yoga class with the vampire/hero.  Never in a hundred years would I have imagined a vampire in a yoga class, but she made it seem, if a bit unusual, highly logical.  Loved that scene, even though I know less than nothing about yoga. 

Anyone else read this book? What are your thoughts?  What techniques of Maass did you see in there? 

1 comment:

Devon Ellington said...

I loved it, which is why I recommended it! ;)

I know of Maass's book/class, but have never actually taken it, so I can't speak to it properly.

I just happened to read the book as I was putting together the class, and it seemed very relevant.

So glad you're enjoying it, and thanks for the mention!