Louisa May Alcott

Louisa May Alcott
An American writer

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Wax on, Wax off

Or, how do you polish?

I have 5 days to go through one of my old manuscripts and get it ready for submission.  Very excited that I got a request for the full manuscript, but now panic is setting in.  I polished up the first three chapters when I sumitted the partial, but I wrote this historical novel. . . at least 7 years ago, because that's when I went back to school.  My writing has improved since then.  But I only have a week.

Do you work on the little things, or do you look at the overall story arc?  I'm tempted to do the latter, but what if I find a big hole?  5 days isn't much time to fix it, especially when the bulk of that day is taken up with the day job, and this isn't a week I can take off much in the way of extra time. 

I know there are many people out there smarter than me, so I'm appealing to that collective wisdom.  What's my best choice, given just a few days' time?

3 comments:

Laurie Ryan said...

First of all, congratulations on the request for a full. As for that final polish, by the time I get there, I'm looking for missing punctuation and misspelled words. And at the overall story arc. Yes, 5 days isn't much time if you find a gaping hole, but better to find and fix it than to have the editor find it, eh? :) Best of luck, Carol!

Carol Dunford said...

Thanks, Laurie. Okay, I'm off to hunt for holes!

DeeAnna said...

Hi, Carol. Yes, a read through with notes - not just holes, but opportunities to expand is what I've found.

DeeAnna