Louisa May Alcott

Louisa May Alcott
An American writer

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Plagiarism

Since this has been in the news a bit lately, I thought it would be a good subject to explore.  First off, I want to say that I just can't wrap my head around WHY someone would want to do this.  Yes, writing is hard work and frustrating sometimes, but geez, the rush when things are going well. . . I can't imagine giving that up.  Plus, you're going to spend the rest of your life looking over your shoulder, wondering when someone's going to notice that your words sound just like Big Name Author's.  And when someone DOES notice (and they will, eventually), then you're embarrassed at a minimum and open to litigation as well.


But what I can't figure out is why the publishers who published some of these people (and they weren't no-name publishers) didn't use Copyscape or a similar program to check the work.  I freelanced via Guru.com for a while, and almost all the employers on there say right up front that they're going to check your work.  Doesn't bother me, but it must have an effect on some people since they obviously feel compelled to say that.


I want to look at something I created and know it was MY original work.  Besides, aren't you doing just about as much work going through someone else's book and changing names and details and dates and locations. . . . ? 


Someone 'splain this to me.  Please.


For reference, here's an issue from 2008.
And one from 2011.
And, of course, the 1997 brouhaha between Janet Daily and Nora Roberts.
I've heard rumors of others, as well, that may be in the works.  Whether they become news or not will depend on the authors involved (actually, the term would only apply to one of the parties, wouldn't it?), but this is clearly an issue that is going to need some attention in the digital age.

4 comments:

Laurie Ryan said...

I don't get it, either. You're right about the high we get as authors when the writing's going well. And when it's not, there are ways to break through the block. So why claim someone else's words as yours?

Carol Dunford said...

This is why I'll never make a good thief. I can't even THINK of the cheating options.

Susan Macatee said...

I don't get it either. Isn't finding your voice one of the most important aspects of fiction writing?

Janette Harjo said...

I've got too much going on inside of my own head to worry about copying what's inside someone else's words! It is beyond me why sosme people can't think/write for themselves.

Janette