Louisa May Alcott

Louisa May Alcott
An American writer

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Really??

Here's something I found on a to-be-unnamed freelance site:

Job: Ghostwriter for historical romance novel
Budget:  $500 to $1,000
Description: I am looking for a writer to write a novel with a historical romance theme.  I have no specifics for the story, so you would need to come up with title, plot, characters, etc.  It must be original, engaging, sexy, fast moving, short chapters, and grab the reader from the first page.  I am not looking for a long, drawn out romance.   We will own all rights including resell and rights.  You will not be permitted to use the content for any other purpose.The novel must be 120 pages minimum, 300 pages maximum.  I also need you to include:- 3 Recommendations for a title (must be original and unique)- A basic 1-2 paragraph summary/report description that simply explains what the novel is about and what it covers.  - table of contents.  Delivery within 60 days of author selection.  I'd like to see a detailed outline with full character descriptions within 10 days.  Daily updates (short emails) are required. This is a very easy job for the right person.   Suggested payment schedule: $25 for plot development and delivery with character descriptions (2-3 pages)  $50 for first 10 pages.  $50 for next 10 pages  $100 when first 100 pages are delivered  $100 on first draft delivery of full novel.  Balance on final delivery of proofread document. 

Is the person posting this job naive, crazy, or out to insult writers?  The sad part is, people with no idea how to write a good work of fiction will bid on this, and someone around the $500 amount will win, and another work of bad romance will be pushed out there for readers, editors and reviewers to point to.  Does the person posting this job think they'll make tons of money off the work, once it's "published"? (I put that in quotes because I doubt the end result will be publishable by any reputable house, so it will have to go self-publishing, which will once again dilute the quality for all those good romance authors self-publishing out there).  Or would someone with an old manuscript that's been rejected hundreds of times decide to utilize this as a way to get some quick money?

Would you take a job like this? 

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just about speechless. Which is saying a lot.

Gerri Bowen said...

My first thought is why would someone agree to do this. Bizarre.

Carol Dunford said...

I thought the same thing as both of you, but then wondered if there would be some kind of cosmic karma if someone took a first or second attempt book out from under their bed and foisted it off on this person. You know, the Regency-spy-marriage-of-convenience-secret-baby-fish-out-of-water story, or something else that includes every overused cliche. Would this person know the difference? Would that be the right or fair thing to do? I mean, it would be no skin off our noses as the author, since our name wouldn't be attached to it. There's a moral quandry here that I hadn't considered.

Nancy said...

Sounds like a satire to me. Or is it just that I can't believe the one posting the message is sincere in his/her hopes that someone will be gullible enough to apply?
It sounds like a satire on someof the publishing companies with their written guidelines and low advances.
Nancy

Dr. Debra Holland said...

I read this in disbelief and felt like tracking down the add and educating the person offering this.

Then I started to think about it... I know MANY small pubbed authors who never make this much from one of their books, even after years. For those authors, this actually might be a good deal--it certainly keeps you on a deadline. And you have the hope for more money from splitting royalties.

I like Carol's idea of using an old manuscript. :)

Hopefully, no one will answer the add.

Angelyn said...

"We will own all rights including resell and rights." At that price, they can keep them. Great post.

adriannelee said...

This sounds to me like someone wanting to present the work as their own and if a lot of naive writers respond, they might find a gem among the garbage that will cost them next to nothing and maybe make them either a name or land them a book contract. Perhaps the poster knows of an editor or even a contest where the win would outweight the outlay of upfront cash to the actual author of this work for hire. It's just another bizarre twist in the new world of publishing.

Anthea Lawson said...

Debra, I don't think the author gets any royalties - just the flat fee. What a terrible idea!

It also sounds to me like the poster of this ad has never actually written a book and has *no* idea of how much work is involved...

Carol Dunford said...

Adrianne, this is definitely a work-for-hire, and the 'employer' makes no bones about that. If I get time, I'll look around today and see if there are other similar jobs posted. And Anthea, I think you're right, this person has no idea of what's involved. They just think you can whip out one of 'those' books in a weekend, right?? I'm still toying with the idea of taking one of my underbed ms's that would have no copyscape problems and write up a proposal for the job. heh heh heh

Susan Macatee said...

This apparently is someone who thinks authors make gobs of money. But why would they believe any real author would bite on this in the first place.

Miriam Newman said...

Well, if the mice didn't get it, I think there's a really old manuscript up in my cupboard... :)

derekd said...

That's just nuts. Funny, but nuts.

Sidney Ayers said...

I think the romance novel I penned in High School during study hall would suffice. It's got everything that was popular in the 80's and 90's all crammed together in one giant bodice-ripping fest.

Carol Dunford said...

LOL, Sidney! That's right about where my under-bed book is. Regency-set historical, h/h sail from England to America and back (on his ship, of course) and NOTHING HAPPENS! They talk and argue in circles and talk some more and finally decide they're in love and get married, blah blah blah blah. But apparently it might be worth $500. Who knew?!?

Lavada Dee said...

Wow, this ranks right up there with the person that comes up to us and says, "I've got a great story for you. You write it and we'll split the money."

Callie said...

I really think this is a joke. I refuse to believe someone would post his for real. I mean, what's the point? If someone else is going to write a book, why wouldn't they put their own name on it? I'm sure if someone tracked this down, it wouldn't be for real. Or am I that naive?

Laurie Ryan said...

No way. That is CRAZY. I met a woman once who tried to sell me on a new incubator idea she was starting. Movie scripts, books, paintings, anything artistic. You do it, she pays you a fee, and she keeps all the rights. I would not sign up for something like that.

Carol Dunford said...

Callie, I'm afraid this doesn't appear to be a joke. In fact, it looks like this isn't the first time this person has done this. The 'employer' has paid a total of 10 prior projects. Now, not all of them may have been romance fiction, but I'd be willing to bet this person (in New Jersey is all I can tell for location) has gotten other people to do work-for-hire for him/her.

Looking around today, I see project postings for a vampire romance, highlander romance, and the historical romance I started this thread with. If I search for just ghostwriting and leave out the word 'romance', I'll bet I find a lot more. I agree with Laurie, this is CRAZY, but there appears to be a market for it or these people wouldn't be posting.

Carol Dunford said...

Oh--and 5 people have already submitted bids. I can't see what they bid, but I can see that there are already people who have shown an interest to the employer. Of course, there are a lot of under-bed manuscripts out there. . . .

DeeAnna said...

Carol, I have a lust-in-the-dust manuscript written on my lunch hours about 15 years ago. Do you think it would qualify? Honsestly, I could use the money :P

Anonymous said...

I love Sidney's phrase: "crammed together in one giant bodice-ripping fest."

I'm putting that in my quote book.

Carol Dunford said...

LOL. If nothing else, we're getting some lovely phrases to describe our old manuscripts!