Louisa May Alcott

Louisa May Alcott
An American writer

Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Great Scrivener Experiment

I'm a 'big picture' gal.  I like to be able to see the whole story, the arc, the conflicts and disaster, and see if I've got 27 scenes in the hero's POV and only 3 in the heroine's.  And it's damned difficult to do that in Word.


I'm also a sucker for office products, software, anything that even sniffs politely of technology.  I see advertisements for things like that and I start drooling, which isn't always for the best if it's an online ad.


So now my friend Shannon McKelden makes a post on Facebook about how she just loooooves Scrivener, and it does everything except bake the bread for you. (Okay, I'm interested)  THEN she sweetens the pot by talking about the 'corkboard' view in Scrivener (I'm getting hot flashes) and how you can color-code scenes or POV or whatever (I'm practically fainting at this point)  and then move things around AT WILL to see how they fit together in a new way--or not.  (I'm fumbling for my credit card at this point).


This morning I downloaded the program and copied in my manuscript VALENTINA, the one that was requested from Wild Rose Publishing.  Maybe it was Scrivener, or just looking at the book in a different format, but I suddenly realized that the book opens with a frikking SEQUEL, not a SCENE--in other words, no action.  Of course, that's fiction-writer's death, and I need to fix that.


Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out how to break the monster manuscript (103,000 words) into the various chapters and scenes and color-code them, and I hope it'll stop raining sometime today so I can get out in the garden.

And--oh, yeah--GO U.S. WOMEN'S SOCCER!!!!

1 comment:

Shannon McKelden said...

Yippee!! Awesome that you like it so far. To break down in pieces, put the cursor where you want a break to be and Choose (in the Windows version anyway) Document and then Split and then Split at Selection, I think? May also be ALT K to do the same thing. Repeat until split into all the scenes your heart desires. :)