Louisa May Alcott

Louisa May Alcott
An American writer

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

No luck today

Went to the General Register Office for Scotland where all the old records are kept.  One young lady there was very helpful. . . the rest completely ignored us.  I couldn't believe it.  The most unhelpful bunch of people I've ever met.  It should be evident when I speak that I'm not from Edinburgh, but was any offer of assistance forthcoming?  nope.  I ordered some records, told I had done it wrong, and asked to find something more specific.  Well, if I don't know what I'm looking for, how can I find it?  While there are a lot of records there, finding them is beyond a first-timer's capability without some help.  We spent the whole day there and found nothing, which wasn't totally unexpected, but I think we could have made a lot better progress with some assistance. 
The guys in the research room just kept pointing us out the door to where the ladies worked, and after a while I got tired of bugging them. 
Get with it, GROS!

No comments: